Dr. Sam Genensky
Video Magnification Award
Introduction and Guidelines
Dear Award Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in applying for the CCLVI Dr. Sam Genensky Video Magnification Award offered through the Council of Citizens with Low Vision International (CCLVI). The application has been closed on the deadline of July 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
This award is in honor of Dr. Samuel M. Genensky, inventor of the first closed-circuit TV reading device, founder of the Center for the Partially Sighted, and the founding president of CCLVI who passed away on June 26, 2009. Follow this link to learn more about Dr. Genensky.
CCLVI, in collaboration with many who were inspired by Dr. Genensky's achievements and thirst for knowledge are proud to announce the CCLVI Dr. Sam Genensky Video Magnification Award. In 2014, 3 video magnifiers will be awarded to individuals who demonstrate a need. Recipients must reside in the United States.
Please read through these guidelines before starting to complete the application. You will need to fill out the application completely and provide all required indicated supporting documentation.
Video Magnifier Award Types
On the award application, you will be asked to rank order from First Choice to Fourth Choice the types of video magnifier options that are available. To identify the video magnifier(s) that would be usable by you, please take a look at the vendor web sites and contact each of them to see if they have a local representative to provide a demonstration, speak with an eye care professional/agency and/or talk with an instructor who provides services for students who are low vision.
Winners of an award will be required to provide a written one year follow-up as to how you have used the CCTV or video magnifier. Learn how video magnifier awards changed the lives for 2013 recipients here.
* Please note: We ask your video magnifier preferences and will make an effort to honor your First Choice if you are a recipient of an award. However, there is no guarantee that you will receive your first choice magnifier.
Please be considerate. CCLVI strongly discourages the resale of an awarded video magnifier. In the event that you are awarded a CCTV that you are unable to use, please return the CCTV to CCLVI so that it may be awarded to another applicant.
Low Vision Requirements
Video Magnifiers are awarded to individuals with low vision from 20/70 in the better eye with best possible correction, or a field restricted to no greater than 30 degrees, to those who have less vision but are still able to benefit from the use of low vision devices to perform daily visual tasks.
Verification of Low Vision Documentation
All applicants must submit a scanned or e-mailed letter from a certified optometrist, ophthalmologist, vocational rehabilitation counselor, vision rehabilitation therapist, low vision therapist, or Orientation & Mobility Therapist. (Please see above for low-vision requirements.)
* Note: Video magnifier recipients will be expected to provide a completed CCLVI Scholarship Applicant Eye Report Form from an ophthalmologist or optometrist indicating that the applicant meets low vision criteria within 30 days of being notified as a winner. You must have your doctor complete CCLVI's Eye Report Form after June 1, 2013. No other eye report documentation will be accepted for award recipients.
Please submit the following documents:
Complete and submit the CCLVI Dr. Sam Genensky Video Magnification Award online only when application is open. The three (3) essay questions in the application you will be asked to answer are:
- Please describe your experience using a video magnifier/CCTV, your personal situation and how this award would assist you in school and/or daily living. (500 word limit)
- Describe your financial situation and why you need this award. (250 word limit)
- Have you attempted to get a video magnifier from your school, employer or other organization? Please explain.
One (1) Letter of Recommendation. Letter of recommendation will be accepted either:
- As a file with electronic letterhead and signature attached to an e-mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Uploaded through this website. Only .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf .txt files are approved to be uploaded through this website.
- Submit email or upload via this website, verification of low vision. See above for more information.